Civil War - Ironclads
1. What is another name for the Battle of the Ironclads?
a. Battle of Gettysburg
b. Battle of Fort Sumter
c. Battle of Shiloh
d. Battle of Hampton Roads
e. Battle of Antietam
2. What was the Merrimack before the Confederates turned it into an ironclad?
a. A British cargo ship
b. A Union battleship
c. A Spanish merchant ship
d. A Confederate submarine
e. A French frigate
3. What did the Confederates call the Merrimack after they rebuilt it into an ironclad?
b. New Orleans
4. True or False: Ironclad warships changed the future of naval warfare.
5. What Union ship did the Merrimack sink a the start of the battle?
a. USS Monitor
b. USS Maryland
c. USS Cumberland
d. USS Philadelphia
e. USS New York
6. Who was captain of the Merrimack?
a. Samuel Lee
b. David Porter
c. Andrew Foote
d. Frank Buchanan
e. Charles Davis
7. What happened when enemies fired cannonballs at the ironclads?
a. They missed because the ships were so fast
b. The cannonballs bounced right off
c. The cannonballs easily sunk the ironclads
d. All of the above
e. None of the above
8. What was the name of the North's ironclad in the battle?
9. Which side won the Battle of the Ironclads?
c. Neither side won
10. True or False: The Battle of the Ironclads proved that wooden ships were far superior to iron ships in battle.
About this quiz: All the questions on this quiz are based on information that can be found on the Civil War - Ironclads page at /history/civil_war/battle_of_ironclads.php.
This quiz is copyright property of Ducksters and TSI. All rights reserved. Please visit www.ducksters.com.