Battle of Bunker Hill
1. Where did most of the fighting take place during the Battle of Bunker Hill?
a. Bunker Hill
d. Breeds Hill
e. Downtown Boston
2. What year did the battle take place?
3. Who led the British troops in their attack on the hill?
a. General William Howe
b. John Parker
c. Admiral Samuel Graves
d. Benedict Arnold
e. William Prescott
4. How many charges did the British make before the Americans retreated?
5. What was the result of the battle?
a. The English won control of the hills.
b. The English lost many more men and officers than the Americans.
c. The Americans gained confidence despite losing the hills to the British.
d. All of the above
e. None of the above
6. Why did the Americans wait to fire on the British until they saw the whites of their eyes?
a. Because they wanted to see the British up close when they died
b. Because they were low on ammunition and waiting until the British were close helped to make every bullet count
c. Because this gave them something to aim for
d. Because this way they were sure that the British soldiers had their eyes open
e. Because it sounded cool to say
7. What did the Americans do during the night in order to help them defend Breeds Hill?
a. They slept in so they were well rested
b. They built huge fires and made lots of noise in order to scare the British
c. They built up piles of rocks that they could throw on the British as they came up the hill
d. They practiced their shooting on targets set up near the bottom of the hill
e. They built up fortifications including a wall that was six feet high
8. What leading American patriot died during the fighting?
a. Dr. Joseph Warren
b. John Adams
c. Paul Revere
d. Israel Putnam
e. John Stark
9. True or False: The Americans lost a lot more men that the British in the battle.
10. Which of the following is NOT true about the Battle of Bunker Hill?
a. It was mostly fought on Breeds Hill.
b. The British had a large number of officers killed and wounded.
c. The Americans retreated as soon as they saw the first British soldier charge up the hill.
d. The Americans were led by Colonel William Prescott.
e. The American forces gained confidence despite losing the hills to the British.
About this quiz: All the questions on this quiz are based on information that can be found on the Battle of Bunker Hill page at /history/battle_of_bunker_hill.php.
This quiz is copyright property of Ducksters and TSI. All rights reserved. Please visit www.ducksters.com.