Ancient Africa - Griots
1. What was the main job of the griot?
a. Protecting the village
c. Fishing for food
d. Working with iron
e. Working in the salt mines
2. How did the griots help to teach the children of the village?
a. Showing them how to farm
b. Instructing them on ways to fight off the enemy
c. Teaching them ways to fish and hunt for food
d. Through messages on how to behave in their stories
e. Teaching them how to read and write
3. Which instrument used by griots was a percussion instrument similar to a xylophone?
4. Besides musician and storyteller, what other job did the griot have for the village?
d. Leader of the warriors
5. Which instrument used by griots was similar to a harp and was made from a vegetable called a calabash?
6. True or False: There are still some people working as griots in Africa today.
7. What important event was it important for the griot to remember?
e. All of the above
8. Which instrument used by griots was similar to a lute?
9. What instrument do some historians believe the Ngoni became after traveling to America with African slaves?
10. How was the history of the village kept by the griot?
a. Through stories that were passed down
b. Through cave paintings
c. Using hieroglyphics on stone tablets
d. All of the above
e. None of the above
About this quiz: All the questions on this quiz are based on information that can be found on the Ancient Africa - Griots page at /history/africa/griots_storytellers.php.
This quiz is copyright property of Ducksters and TSI. All rights reserved. Please visit www.ducksters.com.