James K. Polk
Questions on this quiz are based on information from
James K. Polk.
1. James K. Polk was the _______ President of the United States.
2. Who was James K. Polk's wife?
a. He never married
b. Sarah Childress
c. Margaret Mackall Smith
d. Abigail Powers
e. Jane Means Appleton
3. Who was the Vice President of the United States under James K. Polk?
a. William Rufus De Vane King
b. John Cabell Breckinridge
c. George Dallas
d. Millard Fillmore
4. What was James K. Polk's nickname?
a. Last of the Whigs
b. Handsome Frank
c. Ten-Cent Jimmy
d. Young Hickory
e. Old Rough-and-Ready
5. Where was James K. Polk born?
d. New York
e. North Carolina
6. What political position did Polk hold before becoming President of the United States?
a. Governor of Tennessee
b. Speaker of the House
c. Member of the Tennessee state legislature
d. All of the above
e. None of the above
7. What was Polk's main goal as president?
a. To expand the borders of the United States to the Pacific Ocean
b. To defeat Great Britain in war
c. To establish national healthcare
d. To conquer Canada
e. To serve for at least 3 terms
8. What major war was the U.S. a part of during James K. Polk's presidency?
a. War of 1812
b. Mexican-American War
c. French Revolution
d. American Civil War
e. Spanish-American War
9. What was the slogan '55-40 or Fight' about?
a. Making Texas a state
b. The revolution in California to break from Mexico
c. The border between the U.S. and Great Britain in the Oregon Territory
d. It was a political slogan against the Whig party
10. James K. Polk earned his nickname because he supported what U.S. president?
a. John Tyler
b. William Henry Harrison
c. Martin Van Buren
d. Zachary Taylor
e. Andrew Jackson
About this quiz: All the questions on this quiz are based on information that can be found on the James K. Polk page at www.ducksters.com/biography/uspresidents/jamespolk.php.
This quiz is copyright property of Ducksters and TSI. All rights reserved. Please visit www.ducksters.com.