Questions on this quiz are based on information from
1. Where was Nellie Bly born?
a. New York
e. North Carolina
2. What was Nellie Bly's real name?
a. Jane Williams
b. Liza Brown
c. Joan Nelson
d. Elizabeth Cochran
e. Catherine Jones
3. How did Nellie Bly first get a job as a newspaper writer?
a. Her father owned a newspaper
b. She went to journalism school
c. She wrote a letter to the editor
d. She applied for an opening
e. Her best friend worked for the newspaper
4. Nellie Bly pretended to be crazy in order to investigate what institution?
a. Women's prison
c. Harvard University
d. Federal government
e. Insane asylum
5. True or False: Nellie Bly ran a manufacturing business and had several patents for inventions.
6. Around how long did it take Nellie Bly to travel around the world?
a. 72 hours
b. 2 weeks
c. 1 month
d. 72 days
e. Six months
7. What year did Nellie Bly finish her record breaking trip around the world?
8. What conditions did Nellie Bly discover while investigating the insane asylum?
a. The asylum was dirty and had rats
b. Patients were given ice cold baths
c. Patients were not allowed to talk
d. Patients were forced to sit on benches for hours
e. All of the above
9. What country did Nellie Bly have to flee after reporting on the government?
10. What book by Jules Verne inspired Nellie Bly to make her trip around the world?
a. Journey to the Center of the Earth
b. Around the World in Eighty Days
c. The Adventures of Captain Hatteras
d. 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
e. Five Weeks in a Balloon
About this quiz: All the questions on this quiz are based on information that can be found on the Nellie Bly page at www.ducksters.com/history/us_1800s/nellie_bly.php.
This quiz is copyright property of Ducksters and TSI. All rights reserved. Please visit www.ducksters.com.